Valve are preparing to ship the next version of Proton, their compatibility layer that runs Windows games on Steam Deck and Linux desktop with Proton 7.0-4 having a Release Candidate ready to test.
This only went up a few hours ago and you can try it and report feedback to Valve. As usual for testing releases, the current list of changes may be different to when it’s out officially. To test it out you need to opt into the Beta on Proton 7 directly. So search for Proton 7 in your Steam Library, go into the Properties, Betas and select the “release candidate”.
Here’s what’s new / improved:
- Now playable:
- Aquarist – My First Job
- Chuzzle Deluxe
- Zuma’s Revenge!
- Karmaflow The Rock Opera Videogame – Act I & Act II
- The Rising of the Shield Hero: Relive The Animation
- Disgaea 5
- Support automatically bringing up on screen keyboard on Steam Deck in Final Fantasy XIV launcher.
- Fix Final Fantasy XIV launcher exiting silently when there’s not enough space to download the update.
- Fix The Ball displaying error message on the first launch.
- Fix video playback in: POSTAL: Brain Damaged.
- Fix Hardspace: Shipbreaker failing to connect to online services.
- Fix music in Let’s Build a Zoo.
- Fix Azur Lane: Crosswave hanging on a black screen for some users.
- Fix Dokyusei Bangin’ Summer showing only flickering black window.
- Fix Bloons TD 6 crashing on touch input.
- Fix Sid Meier’s Civilization IV crashing on world creation.
- Fix Assassin’s Creed Origins hanging during gameplay after recent game update.
- Fix Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Zombies and Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Multiplayer crashing after connecting online.
- Fix graphical glitches in Cossacks 3.
- Fix garbled audio in Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak.
- Fix Elite Dangerous and other launchers not working properly when cloned displays are present.
- Implement Vulkan other process rendering (used by nw.js games).
- Improve performance of HROT.
- Improve video playback for many games that previously required targeted hacks.
- Reduce space used by game prefixes if file system supports copy on write.
- Update dxvk to v1.10.3
- Update vkd3d-proton to v2.6-1-gc05900da
If you wish to try it and give feedback, Valve are mainly interested in issues that are directly new in the release candidate builds. So if you find something is broken between Proton 7.0-3 and Proton 7.0-4, Valve needs to know about it. A lot of the changes are coming over from previous builds of Proton Experimental.
You can report issues on the GitHub page.